Monday, December 28, 2009

Eat From the Pantry


We have so much to be thankful for this past year and we are looking forward to many more blessings in 2010. One thing, however, that we weren't blessed with this past year: a teaching job for me. With the hiring freeze and a sure shot job that didn't pan out, we have been living on one income. Although it has been "do-able" it's just gotten a lot harder lately and we are having to cut back, A LOT. I'm sure our story isn't much unlike many families out there.

In an attempt to save money, stick to a budget and start out on the right foot this coming year, we are joining up with FishMama and Money Saving Mom as we embark on a month of eating from the pantry. I have never done anything like this, and to be quite honest, it seems like an exciting challenge to me. For one whole month, we are going to use what we have stored up in our pantry and freezer for our meals.

In order to do this, I have a lot of work ahead of me. I need to take inventory and do some meal planning (which is something I'm going to start to do more of...sure is a life saver to know what we are going to eat when, and saves those wasteful eating out nights)

We will have a few rules and regulations in our house:
  • We will still eat out on our bible study nights, Monday's with young adults and Tuesday's with the High School kiddos. (This will come out of our Entertainment budget)
  • We will still have dinner at the Porter's on Thursday nights.
  • We will have $15 a week to get eggs, milk, bread...you know, those sort of things.
Like I said, I'm excited and am totally up for the challenge. If you have any help or suggestions for a newly married bride (I know its been a year and a half, but I'm still getting used to this whole married thing, I'M A NEWBIE...so I'm still newly married) feel free to help. I would also love suggestions on how to make this living on one income thing work, too!!

Be sure to link up, if you would like to join. You could also check out the facebook page and connect with others.

2 comments:

JusFrugal said...

Best of luck with the challenge! And I hope that 2010 brings you a teaching job too! Happy New Year!

Heather said...

Eating out is okay if you budget it but always make sure to find ways to cut that expense as well. Search for coupons, share a larger size meal or drink water those beverages are way over priced! In the kitchen use coupons and learn what is more cost effective to make from scratch since not everything is.