Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Hurt


Why is it that things that are said that hurt stick with you more than things that are encouraging and affirming? Last night in our bible study we were talking about that issue. I brought up how someone told me earlier this year that I would never be a good teacher. That hurt! It completely took away from my joy of teaching and has stuck with me throughout all of my student teaching. I have had so many people since then tell me that I really am a wonderful teacher. I have heard that I present lessons well, work with the students wonderfully and am exceptional with the parents. Do you think those are the words I remember? Well, they should be, but they're not. I keep hearing in my head those extremely hurtful words "You'll never be a good teacher" and I can't shake them. Why is that? Why is it that hurt is so hard to overcome? 

No comments: