Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Good Die Young


I had a rough day yesterday. I learned that my favorite professor at UNM drowned over the weekend while in Hawaii. I have had grandparents pass away, but for some reason this hit me a lot harder than those deaths. I'm not trying to say I miss them any less, but I saw them maybe once a year. Professor Moy was someone I saw at least once a week for the past 3 semesters. He is someone I met with regarding grades and tests. To see his face again and again on the UNM website and the news takes me back to his amazing lectures where he was so full of life and energetic and makes my heart sink that he is no longer here on this earth.

What breaks my heart even more is the way in which he died...trying to save his son. I'm not a parent, so I don't know the love that is felt between parent and child. I can only imagine the lack of thought that went through his head when he tried to save his son who was struggling in the ocean. I bet it never crossed his mind that he might die doing this heroic act. I pray that his family wont hurt. I pray that they instead remember what a great man he was. How loved he was in the academic world, especially at UNM. I know my life is forever touched by this amazing professor!

No comments: