Monday, January 29, 2007

Route 66


I have the privilege of driving on Route 66 every week when I go to class. You see the University of New Mexico is on Central Ave. in Albuquerque which is a part of Route 66. I was noticing while I was driving on it today, on my way to UNM, that the movie Cars is not at all lacking in its representation of the change that has occurred on this once main Highway across the United States.

I was noticing all of the old "Route 66" looking signs for restaurants and hotels. The sad thing...most of these business are all boarded up. And the ones that aren't are so run down I don't know anyone who would actually step foot in them. It's sad to think that once a "happening" street is now home to the homeless and hookers of Albuquerque. I wonder what it would have been like back then??

No comments: