Thursday, December 28, 2006

Where to start??

The trip to Chicago was amazing...so much so that I don't know where to start.

I was really apprehensive about going. 1. because I hate to fly, and 2. because I was nervous about what Jeremy's friends and family would think of me (by the way...I'm still waiting for a full report card as to how I did, but anyways...) The plane ride over was a good as any plane ride could be. I took my usual Dramamine, but it didn't kick in until we left Dallas on our way to Chicago. So Jeremy's friends, Chris and Erin, got to first meet me all groggy. Good thing we still had another day with them.

I wasn't able to see Chicago until the next morning, and let me tell you...I fell in love. I have never been in a big city, and although I felt like the country mouse in this big city, I thought it was amazing. I have never seen so many tall building, stores, and people. We spent the day at the Art Institute, which was fabulous getting to see all of the amazing paintings, including my favorite, Monet. Then we drove around Chicago and the surrounding suburbs.

I really enjoyed getting to see Jeremy's old stomping ground, including where he went to college. When I close my eyes and picture college...his is exactly what I would picture. I then got to experience Chicago style pizza. It was completely different than anything I expected, but it was amazing!!! After pizza and a brief visit to the hospital (don't freak out we were just visiting a friend), we headed west toward Rock Falls where Jeremy's brother and sister-in-law live. Now, what I thought was the hard part of meeting the family began.

I was thrilled at the warm reception I got from all of Jeremy's friends and family. They made me feel like one of them. I got to meet the rambunctious Maverick...what a cutie!!! I got to see the Mississippi River for the first time while cross it to Iowa (yes....another state added to my list). We went to see a movie, see old teachers, visit old friends who made Jeremy squirm in his seat, and even visit prison. His brothers were great, his Mom was amazing, and even though I didn't understand all of what Paco said, I learned quickly to smile and nod. When it came time to leave I was saddened because I felt like I was leaving family.

The trip to Illinois was nothing like I expected, it was more!!!

No comments: