Tuesday, December 05, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth


Well my lack of class attendance has put me once again doing extra credit. The extra credit for this week was to watch a movie and write a one page summary. I got the title of the movie off the class website and was ready to rent it and watch it. I told Jeremy about what I had to do and asked if he would be interested in watching it with me. At this time, I still had no idea what the movie was, since the title didn't ring a bell. Jeremy, being the great boyfriend he is, said no problem. As long as he was hanging out with me he didn't care what we were watching, even if it was some crazy poli sci movie. He asked me what movie it was and I told him, "An Inconvenient Truth." He said...okay...what is it about? I had no idea, like I said before the title didn't ring a bell.

Well, the next day he told me he had checked out the movie to see what it was about and informed me it sounded interesting. He told me it was the global warming documentary done by Al Gore. WHAT!!!???!!! I was totally not looking forward to doing this extra credit now. I have very strong opinions which cause me to dislike this man. I head about this documentary on the news and swore I would never indulge him and watch it. This was going to be the most torturous 90 minutes in my life.

We sat down on Saturday to watch it. At first, of course, I gave my little anti-democrat remarks, but the more I got into the show, the more I was just listening and watching and thinking about what it was saying. I came out of it thinking it was a really great documentary, full of a great amount of information and really made me think about what I was doing to contribute to this problem. I still have an opinion, as I'm sure a lot of Americans do, that society isn't ready to change their lifestyles to save the environment. Call me selfish, but I don't think I am either. I feel that I am comfortable where I am in my lifestyle and I don't think I want to change that right now. But what about you?? Are you willing to change your lifestyle to solve the problem of global warming??

No comments: