Thursday, December 07, 2006

Drug Tests and Shy Bladders


I don't know what it is about taking a drug test that makes a person nervous, but it happens every time....and it's even worse for a girl with a shy bladder!!! I am starting my new job after Christmas, and as part of the hiring process I had to go in yesterday to get a drug test. I had put this off for a couple of weeks now, not that I have anything to worry about, but it's just annoying to me, but I finally made time to go to the lab and do it.

When I got there is was really busy and there was only one chair left to sit in. So I signed in, took a seat and waited for my turn. As I was waiting I was getting really nervous because although when I left the house I needed to use the restroom, I didn't so that I could make sure I could "fill the cup." Well, while I was sitting and waiting, I noticed I had lost the urge to go. I didn't need to...not at all. I didn't know what I was going to do.

So the girl called my name and we went back to a room where I left my purse. I then had to rinse my hands with water only and take the cup into the bathroom. After the nurse put blue coloring into the toilet, I was given STRICT instructions not to flush after I was done. So not only did I have to worry of whether I could fill the cup past the sticker with my lack of urge to go, but now I was really worried I would turn and flush out of habit.

So here I was, in this dimly lit bathroom...with blue dyed toilet water ready to fill the cup. One thing you have to know about me, I have a very shy bladder. When there are people around I just can't seem to do it. I remember in school having to turn on water or the hand dryers just to go. So not only do I have this shyness, but with the nurse waiting outside the door, I'M UNDER PRESSURE. Not a good combination. On top of all this...do you realize how hard it is for a female to pee in a cup?? Not so easy!!!

So after a good amount of time and concentration, I did manage to overcome the shyness and pressure and was able to do what I needed for the test. When I was done, and after I washed my hands, I couldn't believe how shaky and nervous the whole process had made me. Seriously, I think I was jittery for about an hour afterward. All I can say is I'm glad that's done and hopefully it's not any indication of the job I'm getting myself into.

No comments: