Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Then What's the Point of Cake?


Okay so I was talking with my friend Adam today about...well that's not important, but I had to tell him he couldn't have his cake and eat it too. His response to me was "what's the point of having cake then if you can't eat it??" I was totally not expecting this and it really got me thinking about it. I have been told all my life I can't have the cake and eat it too. So like Adam said, what's the point? Why would I have this piece of cake sitting in front of me if I can't eat it??

So this got me thinking back to a conversation Jeremy and I had the other night after we watched an episode of One Tree Hill. One of the characters in the show, Lucas, has a heart condition which has prevented him from pursuing his dream of playing basketball. There is an opportunity, however, that arises for him to get 15 minutes of playing time in a game as long as he is on his medication. Anything more than 15 minutes would put too much strain on his heart and there could be severe consequences. He decides he doesn't want to do that. He says he would rather not do it at all, than do it half way.

I just wonder how many times we think like Adam was thinking. If I can't have my cake and eat it too, what's the point of cake. I think it's like the scenario with Lucas on One Tree Hill. He is given his cake, but because he can only play for 15 minutes he's not being allowed to eat it too. I got to thinking, then, and feeling really bad for those people who think they don't want the cake at all if they can't eat it. I mean what if you end up missing out on something just because you can't do it all the way. Where do you draw the line?? I feel Lucas's pain. If he can't play the whole game, why play at all? But, at the same time, wouldn't you rather have 15 minutes of joy than a lifetime without??

No comments: