Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Fruit of the Spirit :: Peace


The past two weeks, my gal pal, Carrie, and I have been taking a look at Galatians 5:22 -- The Fruit of the Spirit. We discussed love and joy with regards to what they mean in our own lives and our relationship with God. This week, we are looking at Peace. 

Since it seems as though I have been starting with definitions, I will continue to do so. Peace is defined in good old Websters as:
freedom from disturbance: quiet and tranquility: mental calm: serenity.
Wow!!! I WANT THAT!!! I want to be free from disturbance, I want to be quiet and tranquil, I want to be calm and have serenity. But, why don't I?? What is preventing me from this?? I feel there are times in my life when I do have this peace. There are even times during each day that I can look back on and see peace as defined by Webster. But, why don't I have it ALL the time??

I was looking through various verses throughout the Bible and I found so many times when individuals were told to "Go in Peace". Obviously this is either just a way to say good-bye, or, there is more to this peace thing than we often think of. I feel there is way more to it, and it is over-looked. Peace is important, if it isn't, why is Jesus called "Prince of Peace"? Clearly Peace is something we are called to have and be at.

Jeremy and I are going through the Bible in a year with the chronological Bible. Wouldn't you know, early on in our reading, we came across my good friend Job. Don't get me wrong, Job has great things to teach us, but it was hard to get past that whining. (Come to think of it, maybe I should stop my whining, too....anyways, that's a whole other post) Even after all he went through, he never gave up on the Lord and even declared:
Submit to God and be at peace with Him; in this way prosperity will come to you. Job 22:21
How amazing is that? We as followers will be prosperous if only we would submit to God and be at peace with Him. Why don't we do this? Why is it so hard, especially during times of trial, to be at peace with God? 

I know for me, I struggle with being at peace. I am a worrier, I am a stewer, I am one who constantly thinks about upcoming conversations, past deeds and have trouble being okay, or at peace, with my life in that moment. Today, I am going to make a conscious effort to be at peace. I am going to strive to stop and take some "Katie-time" each day to recount my thoughts, my day and become at peace with what is going on around me. I am going to make a pledge to myself to get back to the loves in my life which always bring me peace while I'm doing them: scrapbooking, sewing, photography and reading. Hopefully with finding peace in my own life, it will be easier to be at peace with God.

What will you do to find peace in your life? What will you revisit? What will you give up? 

Come check us out next week as we take a look at patience. Until then...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Awesome post! Thanks so much for posting and working with me during this!! I agree with taking time and finding peace!! Peace be with you! ; )