Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fruit of the Spirit :: Goodness

8. For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light
9. (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth)
10. and find out what pleases the Lord. Ephesians 5:8-10
As a follower of Christ, I strive to live in the light and allow the light to live in me. In Ephesians 5, that light is to be made up of all goodness, but what does that mean? What is goodness, and what does it mean to me?

God old Websters defines goodness as follows:
the state or quality of being good; moral excellence; the best part of anything
I don't know about you, but I feel these are all qualities Jesus possessed, and which he commands us to possess. When I look at this definition, I see a clear correlation between possessing goodness and being holy, or set apart.

But what does that mean? How do I go about having this goodness? For me, I think it's looking at it as being set apart. We are to be different. We are to act in a more Christlike manner. We are to help those who need it. Pray for those who need it. Be a shoulder for a friend, an encouraging word for a loved one, and an example for those who may not know Him yet. Isn't that what God did for us?

Be sure to check back next time as we take a look at Faithfulness. Until then, be sure to check out Carrie's blog My World and see what she has to say about Goodness.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Katie,
I just found your blog on Exemplify's blogroll. I enjoyed reading your devotional and I have added myself to your follow list. I just started my praise blog this month and if you get a chance I would love for you to check it out. Thanks! Have a praise filled day!
Amy
Filled With Praise