Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Fruit of the Spirit :: Love

As I mentioned last week, I am going through the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) with an amazing gal Carrie. With this, our first week, we are looking at love.

Love is defined in the dictionary as an intense feeling of deep affection. But how does the Bible define love? We can see many examples of love in the bible, but what do they really mean? For this study, I am going to focus on love in my life especially relating to God.
We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
When I look at this verse, I am struck by the simplicity of it. But, I am also struck by how complex it is. All things work together for the good, not the bad but for the good. But, there's a kicker. All things work together for the good for those who LOVE God. Ah ha, the kicker. This verse really makes me take a step back when things aren't going well in my life. I'm so quick to blame others when things don't go my way. I am even quick to blame God, but the one I really need to look at is myself and how I am loving God. 

I can often tell when I am not loving God with all of who I am. I can tell this because things just seem off. My health suffers, my relationships suffer and my life just seems to turn upside-down. It isn't because I caught a cold at school from that freckled face boy ( I can't blame him), nor is it because my husband does something to make me mad ( I can't blame him). It is because I'm not right with God. I am not showing Him love by trusting in Him, by leaning on Him, or by relying on Him. Our love for God is such an important part of our relationship with Him, that without that love we are lacking so much.

When my love for God has faded, I see my love for others have faded. This is often hard to deal with. The Bible tells us in 1 Corinthians 16:14 "Let all you do be done in love" Really?? All I do?? I don't know about you, but I have trouble with this. I find it so easy to love those who love me back, but what about those who don't?? I don't know about you, but I find it hard to suck up my pride and show someone respect or serve them with a kind heart when they have wronged me somehow. But God has called us to do EVERYTHING we do, not just the stuff to those who love us, but EVERYTHING we do, we should do it in love. 

My prayer for this week, is that you and I will really check our pride and make sure our intentions when we serve others. If something is being done for the wrong purpose, take a step back and ask God for help to show others His love. Because without His love, we are dead, and without showing His love to others, we are killing His light. 

Check back next week as we take a look at Joy. Until then, check out what Carrie has to say about Love. 

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I really like your verse that is a good one!! It is hard to remember to have love in everything we do and trust God in all things!!!

Hope your little princess is well!!!!