Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm a Slave to What?


I have been thinking so much lately about the things I am a slave to. I am a slave to my cell phone, to text messaging. I am a slave to the TV and especially the TIVO. I am a slave to my computer, to making sure I have read all of my e mails and checked out all I need to on a daily basis. I have come to understand how much this is wearing me out. I get tired from all of the expectations that I place on myself to stay up to date technology wise.

I'm just tired of feeling I always have to be in contact with people this new "technology" way. As I was sitting here working, I saw the commercial come on about the kids using the WAY OUT OF DATE land line. But, what happened to that? What happened to people calling you when you're at home, and not feeling like you have to be available anytime and anywhere? I love my text messaging as much as the next guy, but how much of my time each day is spent typing in those quick messages, when I could be doing something much more rewarding?

The Bible says in Romans 6, "21. What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of ? Those things result in death! 22. But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life." 

I feel that these things that enslave me, (the cell phone, TV and computer) are things I am ashamed of, and are therefore resulting in my death. I'm not talking that I'm dying because I'm on the computer, (well, maybe I am...who knows with radiation and all that jazz?) I'm saying my spiritual life is dying because I am choosing to spend time with these technologies rather than time with God. If only I would put those away and become a slave to God, as I have been called to do, the benefit would be much greater than the quick high I get from the internet or TV.

What are you a slave to? Is it your computer, the TV, your job? Or is it God? We need to remember where our priorities lie and we need to make a choice to be a slave to God as we have been called to do, rather than be a slave to these earthly things we think are more important. I'll help you and you help me as we get back to what really matters -- get back to God.




No comments: