Sunday, January 14, 2007

Being Content



Our young adult group at the church (CYA -- haha I love that) watched a Nooma video this week called Rich. It was focusing on what makes a person rich. But what it also did was give incredible statistics that compared our culture to those of underdeveloped countries. It was mind blowing to hear the huge numbers of people without water when we don't even use the free water we have, we go out and buy it. To think of these people without what we would consider "much", however, they are very happy people.

It wasn't until the drive back to the Rio that I really got to thinking about what it means to be content. I feel that I am pretty content with what I have. I have running water, indoor plumbing, a roof over my head, a car to get from here to there. I am not lacking by any means. However, I feel myself in discontent sometimes because I don't have the latest and greatest.

On the ride home, I also got to thinking and feeling bad that I am so content with my "luxuries" while there are millions of people who don't even have shoes for their feet. Jeremy brought up a good point with me though. He said I shouldn't feel bad. I mean, what was I going to do?? Sell all my belongings and live on the street so that I didn't feel bad about what I am content with?? NO!! He said we need to be content with what we don't have. A light bulb totally went off in my head when I heard this. It now made sense. The reason people, in say rural Africa, seem so happy with the little they do have is because they are content with what they don't have.

So, just a thought for today...be content with what you don't have, because there are millions out there that would die to be in your shoes!!

1 comment:

Anoop G said...

Nice blog site!